Подберите заголовки к текстам. Один заголовок лишний.
D. CALCULATED RISKS
If you are considering a career in advertising, you should ask yourself whether you have the necessary qualities. Advertisements tell people what is cool and what isn’t. To be successful in advertising, you have to lead the way and create advertisements with that in mind. Advertisers are the ones who come up with the latest concepts and unless you can do that, then it might not be the career for you.
2. Keeping cars, vans and lorries constantly on the move is a vital part of a modern city and traffic wardens play a central role in that. While the police deal with accidents and are generally respected, traffic wardens are generally disliked for giving tickets to motorists who have parked illegally. However, if they stop and think about it, even drivers who find traffic wardens annoying usually agree that we need them to prevent the traffic system becoming chaotic.
3. We normally think of a pilot as a person who flies a plane, but ships can also have pilots. Ships might travel all around the world and the captain cannot possibly know the details of every harbour or other waterway that they go to. A ship’s pilot is a person who is very familiar with the local waters and who can guide a ship to safety. They are aware of all the dangers in the area and advise the captain.
4. Although being a seismologist can involve long hours in an office or a laboratory, the information they gather is far from boring. Seismologists study earthquakes and they are sometimes able to warn people that an earthquake is about to happen. Although it is not an exact science, these warnings can sometimes help people prepare. Even giving people a few minutes before the earthquake hits may well save lives.
5. Although the job of a coal miner can still be dangerous, it is much safer than it used to be. Today, the chances of something going wrong are worked out very carefully and safety is extremely important. Mining companies will never be able to completely remove the element of danger, but the industry does everything it can to make sure that miners are as safe as possible. Miners are trained to judge how dangerous a situation might be and to take appropriate action to protect themselves and their colleagues.
Прочитайте утверждения 1-6 и следующие за ними тексты. Определите, какие из приведённых утверждений соответствуют содержанию текста (True), какие не соответствуют (False) и о чем в тексте не сказано, то есть на основании текста нельзя дать ни положительного, ни отрицательного ответа (Not stated).
No visit to London is complete without a trip to Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the British monarch (currently Queen Elizabeth II).
Buckingham Palace was built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 and, as such, was known simply as Buckingham House. Its first royal resident was King George III, who bought it in 1762, but it was not until 1837, when Victoria became queen, that it became the official royal palace of the British monarch.
Approximately 450 people work at Buckingham Palace, and each year more than 50,000 people enjoy some form of entertainment there – the Queen often holds garden parties and receptions for invited guests. In the 1990s, the palace became even more open, with members of the public being allowed to go on a tour of the ‘state rooms’. These are the official reception rooms in the palace, rather than the rooms that the Queen and her husband live in.
In June 2003, a concert of classical music and a pop concert were held in the grounds of Buckingham Palace. This was to celebrate Elizabeth’s 50th anniversary as queen.
2. Queen Victoria was the first British monarch to live there.
4. Elizabeth II has been queen for more than fifty years.
Прочитайте приведённый ниже текст. Преобразуйте, если необходимо, слова, напечатанные
заглавными буквами, чтобы они грамматически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски полученными словами.
One of the most popular sports in England is cricket. It is sometimes called the national sport and many adults and (1)_________(CHILD) play it in their spare time or at school.
It (2)_________(PLAY) by two teams of eleven and has some similarities to baseball.
To put it simply, the aim is to score runs and the side (3)_________(SCORE) most runs wins.
The game is quite old, and the (4)_________(EARLY) references to it date from the 1500s.
Spectators (5)_________(WATCH) cricket matches for hundreds of years in many parts of England.
The list of famous cricket grounds (6)_________(INCLUDE) Lord’s in London and Old Traff ord in Manchester.
‘Test cricket’ is the name (7)_________(GIVE) to five-day matches between different countries.
Прочитайте приведённый ниже текст. Преобразуйте, если необходимо, слова, напечатанные заглавными буквами так, чтобы они грамматически и лексически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски полученными словами.
In Britain, the AA (or Automobile Association) has been providing assistance to drivers for over 100 years.
In that time, the (1)_________(MEMBER) has grown from 100 drivers to 15 million. The AA is involved in many different (2)_________(ACTIVE), including publishing books and maps. However, it is best known for helping (3)_________(FORTUNE) drivers who have had an accident or whose cars have broken down. It also tries to persuade the (4)_________(GOVERN) to introduce new laws which will help drivers and improve road (5)_________(SAFE). For example, the AA was in favour of the 1983 law which made it illegal to drive without a seatbelt.
|For and against” First, read a statement, second, brainstorm the ideas, then complete the plan below with ideas of your own||Документи|